Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Job

Today was a cold, rainy and miserable day in New York City! I absolutely love the cold weather, but I definitely under dressed for the icy wind and freezing rain. It feels nice to get back to my room and wrap myself in a blanket. My roommate and I are going to make hot cocoa soon.

So I guess I should start by talking about the unique position I'm in at work right now. I am currently a Teachers Assistant on the Upper East Side in New York City. I was hired because I am actually certified in Music Education, and the school is interested in starting a preliminary music program. Currently, there is no music program at the school (a k-8 school) or in any of the schools surrounding the district. Upon my being hired, the principal asked me if I would teach music to the Kindergarten classes for twenty minutes (which I was able to get extended to thirty minutes) once a week. Since there are only two kindergarten classes, I spend the rest of my time being a teacher's assistant wherever I am needed. I am the substitute aide on Tuesdays for a fifth grader with a learning disability in reading, and the substitute aide on Wednesday for a kindergartner with a behavioral disorder. For the rest of the week I am a normal teacher's assistant in a third grade classroom. Because I am scattered all over the place, I find it really hard to describe my job title to anyone. If some I know asks me if I am currently teaching...the answer is "well...yes..." but I am in the unique position of being a teacher's assistant at the same time.

The positive here is that I love my job. I love the kids. I love teaching my kindergarten music classes. I am a Kodaly trained music teacher, so I love being able to start with this bright group of kids from scratch. Because my school is very diverse in population and the majority are Spanish speaking, I plan to incorporate the music of other cultures into my curriculum. I would love to start an African drumming ensemble...or maybe do a unit on Mariachi music (I put together a Mariachi curriculum in my undergraduate years). Honestly, I know the school has a long way to go and the program is being built from the ground up, but I believe in baby steps. I am a rather ambitious person.

On the other hand, being half a teacher has some definite draw backs. I have absolutely no power within my school at all. I am treated like a teacher's assistant, mostly because I am a teacher's assistant. I propose ideas and they are shot down almost immediately. My kindergarten teachers that I see are enthusiastic, but the higher ups treat me like I am a student instead of a professional in the field. I was told the first day, after introducing myself as Ms. ***** that I could not use my last name because I am not a classroom teacher. The students were told to call me Ms. Margaret...which doesn't in itself bother me, but I know it was done to put me in my place. I am reminded every day that music is a "special" and I am lucky to have the thirty minutes that I have.

I cannot complain to much because, on the other hand, I had not been looking for a full time music teaching position. I am currently pursuing a Masters Degree full time, and definitely am not in the position to attack my first year of full time teaching. What is ideal about this job is that, while I am teaching, I virtually have no responsibility. As long as I physically show up and follow my K curriculum (which I'm almost positive they didn't even read) I am in the clear. I am nice and happy with the faculty and students, and make a point to get along with everyone. I stay out of the politics, and make sure that I give diplomatic answers when presented with road blocks. I know that if I can hang on to this job for two years (until I graduate with my masters degree) then I can look for a more ideal position, or maybe the district will make one for me. Until then, I am simply taking in all of the connections that I can and trying to act as professionally as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment